California Unlicensed Drivers

California Vehicle Code 12500a vc makes it a crime for anyone to drive in the state if they don’t have a valid driver’s license.


A driver’s license does not have to be issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.


The minimum requried is that the driver’s license be (1)unexpired (2)from the state of residence, and (3)appropriate for the type of vehicole being driven (mortorcycle, car, commercial truck, etc.)


If you are cited by the cops for driving without a license, then you must appear at court on the date stated on the ticket. An attorney can make this appearance on your behalf. If you do not arrange for legal representation and you don’t shows up, a bench warrant for your arrest will be issued.

Driving without a license is a comparatively lesser offense, but it is still a misdemeanor. If you are convicted you will have a misdemeanor on your criminal record. A California criminal defense lawyer is your best bet to try to get this charge reduced to an infraction or completely dropped.

You can be charged you with Vehicle Code 12500 vc if you get caught driving under these circumstances:

1. Your license expired and you did not renew it
2. You have never had a driver’s license
3. You established residency in California but have not received driver’s license from California

Our criminal defense attorneys want to share this infornation with you about driving without a license:

How Does the Prosecutor Prove that I Drove without a License?
Related Offense: Driving on a Suspended or Revoked License
Penalties, Punishment, and Sentencing under California Vehicle Code 12500 VC
How Do I Fight a Driving without a License Charge?
Undocumented Immigrants and California Driver's Licenses

If you have more questions we invite you to contact us. You may also find helpful information by searching for Vehicle Code 14601 Driving on a Suspended or Revoked License and California Bench Warrants and Arrest Warrants.

Call us for help

If you or a loved one is charged with Vehicle Code 12500 (a) vc driving without a license and you would like to dicide if you need an attorney, we invite you to contact us at the Law Offices of Marc Grossman. We offer free consultations in office or by phone. We have local offices in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Pasadena, Ventura, Orange County, Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, San Diego, Riverside, and throughout California.

Free Consultation With An Experienced Attorney
Current Clients and Cases:

Worker Compensation Dept:

Our Address:
100 North Euclid Avenue
Second Floor
Upland, CA 91786
Call us today for a free consultation

Request a Free Consultation

  • We will take the time to answer all of your legal questions. Free. No Obligation. No Pressure. Just Answers.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Personal Injury Attorney
Family Law Attorneys